The Merry Crew of Captain Kidd Soundtrack


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Preview #2: (ACT I, Scene ii) (Part One)

This is the BEGINNING of ACT I, Scene ii. It follows directly after the Preview #1 post. I hope you enjoy it.

ACT I
Scene ii

(OPEN on another part of Lewisporte. There are quaint cottages and you can see the sea in the background. ENTER SALLY ANN L. She is wearing a bright white lace shirt with a green vest and a green skirt. Her hair is pulled back short. She is out of breath as she looks back over her shoulder, checking to see if she lost the group that was following her earlier. She sighs heavily and rather boyishly, and slaps her hands on her knees as she catches her breath within the group of people that are walking through the street. ENTER JACK L. He is wearing a high-collar brown thief’s coat, and deep green undershirt. His boots are high and made of brown leather, and his pants are held together by a brown belt which boasts many holsters for daggers. He is running at first, but upon seeing SALLY ANN, slows down to a trot. He cannot see her face through the crowd. Rather charmingly, he strides over to her and clears his throat loudly.)

JACK
Madam.

SALLY ANN
(Startled. She gets up hurriedly and turns to JACK heatedly.) I’ll admit that I’m flattered, but this is rather too much! I mean, really! I am accounted for, you know! (Upon seeing JACK clearly.) Jack?

JACK
(Upset upon realizing the woman he was following was SALYY ANN.) Sally Ann? Bah! Damnation! I spend all this time flustering me self over a stunning beauty and I’m too infatuated to see it’s Kidd’s own girl!

SALLY ANN
(Firmly.) I am not Maxwell’s girl, thank you very much!

JACK
(Chuckles.) Aye. So then who’s this man who accounts for you then, eh?

SALLY ANN
(Getting muddled.) Well. Uh. Well. Fine! It is Maxwell. What of it?

JACK
(Laughs.) I’ve got nothin’ against that save for the fact it means I’m short one girl for tonight’s drinking.

SALLY ANN
Women find you to be quite a nuisance, don’t you know?

JACK
Aye, and downright charming, so I’ve heard. (He winks at her and smiles. He gives an extremely interested glance to a passerby and snatches money from his pocket.)

SALLY ANN
(Smiles playfully.) You’re going to get caught one of these days, Jack Hinks.

JACK
Aye. I only hope it’s when I’m stealing me a lady, rather than money.

SALLY ANN
(Beat.) May I ask you a question, Jack?

JACK
Aye.

SALLY ANN
How is Maxwell?

JACK
(Chuckles.) You have it pretty bad, don’t you?

SALLY ANN
No! I only ask because of his mother. She’s worried for him.

JACK
Aye. His mother.

SALLY ANN
Jack.

JACK
He’s fine. Getting us a boat so we can set sail on the morrow. Although ‘e has been actin’ a little unsettlin’ lately. Suppose it’s ‘cause you haven’t been around to see ‘im. We have been ‘ere three days now, Sally.

SALLY ANN
(Rather stubbornly and haughtily, with her nose in the air.) Well! I shouldn’t have to see him! He should be the one that comes and sees me. Always coming and going like he does. Leaving his mother worried sick and missing him. Hmph!

JACK
Right. Again with his mother.

SALLY ANN
(Fiercely.)
Yes, his mother!

JACK
Alright, I believe ye then. Just…don’t kill me.

(ENTER KIDD L. He is looking around frantically for SALLY ANN. Upon seeing her he smiles, and then gets a stern face upon seeing JACK. He makes his way through the crowd until he gets to them.)

KIDD
(To SALLY ANN. Happily.) Hello Sally. (Turning to JACK. Sternly.) Jack.

JACK
Don’t look at me: I didn’t know it was her I was followin’. Stopped as soon as I knew.

KIDD
(Raising his brow.) Really then?

JACK
(Getting the message.) Aye. And I was just leavin’. And the rest of the crew is drinkin’ at…?

KIDD
The Drunken Sailor. And make sure to give Paddy the money you owe me. We got ourselves a boat. And a new mate.

JACK
Ah! A new mate? And drink from the drunken sailor? Mighty fine rum they’ve got there! I remember once when…(He sees KIDD giving him a hard look.) Well…I’m thirsty somethin’ fierce, so I’ll be off then! (He kisses SALLY ANN’s hand while looking at KIDD out of the corner of his eye, and EXITS L before KIDD has time to react.)

KIDD
(Turning to SALLY ANN.) How have you been Sally Ann?

SALLY ANN
Fine. Yourself?

KIDD
Landlocked for three days now. The crew’s getting itchy feet.

SALLY ANN
So I’ve heard. (Beat.) Your mother’s been worried about you.

KIDD
Aye. I saw here earlier today. Still saying I’m having delusions of grandeur. All I do is give to those less fortunate than me self.

SALLY ANN
(Raising her brow and setting herself into a cross-armed position.) Oh, really? Is that all?

KIDD
Aye…

SALLY ANN
Maxwell, you steal from government vessels.

KIDD
(Seeing nothing wrong with this.) Aye?

SALLY ANN
(Sighs.) Just don’t get caught, Maxwell. I get worried sick every time you leave.

KIDD
Ah. But I thought it was me mother who was so concerned about my well-being?

SALLY ANN
Hmph!

KIDD
(Chuckling.) Heh. Sorry. Just teasing. But it’s not as if anyone cares about what we do. Everyone here knows.

SALLY ANN
And everyone here benefits from your good deeds, Maxwell. But that won’t stop someone from giving you away sooner or later.

KIDD
Aye?

SALLY ANN
Parliament can offer more money for yer head than you can afford to give away.

KIDD
Sally. Nothing’s going to ‘appen. Alright?

SALLY ANN
Fine. Just don’t be too rash.

KIDD
Right. (Beat.) I’ve missed ye, Sally.

SALLY ANN
(Matter of fact-ly.) And I’ve missed you. There.

KIDD
Sally.

SALLY ANN
What?

KIDD
A lot.

SALLY ANN
(Slowly understanding.) Maxwell?

KIDD
I’m sorry about before. I was a fool.

SALLY ANN
Yes. You were.

KIDD
But I want to fix what I messed up.

SALLY ANN
You ignored me, Maxwell.

KIDD
Aye. ‘Cause I didn’t want you to get hurt if I didn’t come back.

SALLY ANN
I’m a big girl. I can deal with heart breaks.

KIDD
Haha! Okay then, Sally. I’m sorry.

SALLY ANN
Good. I forgive you. (She begins to EXIT R.)

KIDD
Where are you goin’?

SALLY ANN
To see your mother.

KIDD
But I wanted to talk with you.

SALLY ANN
(Giving a teasing smile.) Don’t worry: I’ll be back. I won’t let you leave without saying goodbye. (EXITS R.)

KIDD
(Sits down on a crate that is UPSTAGE L. He sighs and stares off R.) And she’s off. That lass leaves conversation more than a sailor leaves shore. Ugh! (He hangs his head down. Beat. He raises his head again and looks off R once more. He immediately begins to sing the song SALLY ANN. The group of people on the street join in as the ENSEMBLE.)

KIDD:
All eyes on Her from dawn till dusk
Hanging on Her every word
Kings and Queens never saw such a fuss
Servants are waiting to serve

KIDD/ ENSEMBLE:
Sally Ann, Sally Ann,
Oh when you dance
Every move that you make is amazing
Take my heart, take my hand
Hey Sally Ann
Life will be all that you make it

KIDD:
I must have got caught in your hair so bright,
lost in your eyes so blue
I followed around in circles all night
For a chance to dance with you

KIDD/ ENSEMBLE:
Sally Ann, Sally Ann,
Oh when you dance
Every move that you make is amazing
Take my heart, take my hand
Hey Sally Ann
Life will be all that you make it

KIDD:
It breaks my heart to hear her cry
I'm a Fool for Her for sure
See me swallowing my pride
She got me crawling on the floor

KIDD/ ENSEMBLE:
Sally Ann, Sally Ann, oh Sally Ann,
Oh when you dance
Every move that you make is amazing
Take my heart, take my hand
Hey Sally Ann
Life will be al, life will be all, life will be all that you make it

(Everyone goes back to their business and PADDY ENTERS L.)

PADDY
Kidd! Everyone’s waitin’ for ye! Jack’s bought us all a round of rum! No charge! I ‘sepct he feels guilty about somethin’, otherwise I’d wager he wouldn’ be feeling so generous.

KIDD
He was after Sally Ann.

PADDY
Ah. That explains it. But all the same, we best be off if we want a free drink.

KIDD
Aye. I s’ppose that’d be fine. Let’s be off then.

(KIDD and PADDY EXIT hurriedly off L. BLACKOUT. The scene changes quickly to inside the Drunken Sailor, a messy pub full of KIDD’s crew. LUKEY, JACK, JAKEY, JOHNNY, and BILLY can be seen with other members of KIDD’s crew drinking merrily. ENTER KIDD and PADDY from the door L. The burst through and there is a still quiet as the drunken crew registers who’s just bursted into the pub. Upon realizing it is their captain, they all cheer.)

1 comment:

Kim said...

This is good. I can see it all in my mind. I'm only worried about you posting your stuff. I don't want anyone to rip you off.